Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Television Review

So just a little about me, I am the proverbial broke single mother with one young one still living at home. That said sometimes being broke and living paycheck to paycheck I have to make the "rob Peter to pay Paul" choices with my bills. With today's economy the thing that we have not had for the past two years is cable, and as most of you now probably know with the change in television this means not even local stations are free. But being a student the one thing I do have to have is internet so recently we signed up with some of those free television watching sites and I have become addicted to the new V show.

So I have been watching this "new" V show from the ABC network and I must say I rather enjoy it. Now you must understand why this simple statement is such a revelation. I am probably the biggest, hugest purist in the universe. If I saw the original and liked it that almost always means I hate the remake. For example, Willy Wonka loved the original; hate the remake sure Johnny Depp is a great actor and super hot too but his Willy Wonka is weird and pedophilic. Clash of the Titians love loved the original corny version and hated with a passion the new version no matter how fine Perseus was!!! Those are just to name a few, but this new V damn I love it almost as much as the original.

It seems to me that there are really only one of two ways to go about making a remake. First choice is an exact remake with just an update on the tech used but for this to be really effective it has to be an exact remake no adding to the story line or small changes will make you lose your audience. This is what the team working on V have done and let me tell you it works. Changing the characters and even their names moves me out of the nostalgia realm and right into theirs, damn hook line and slam dunk

I give it 3 out of 4 stars

2 comments:

From the pen of Crystal Connor said...

I'm sorry dude, but I'm gonna have to take your word for it the original #$%&ing rocked and I refuse to watch the new and improved version. When something is good it should be left alone.
Your fired btw for the Perseus comment.

Amani said...

WHAT!!!! Truth should never get me fired lol

Post a Comment